Carolyn Eagle In Bed with Eva



Carolyn Eagle is the founder and manager of Bettys Toy Box, which she launched over 6 years ago from her home office in Toronto. After discovering the pleasure products industry was way more fun than her former career in book publishing, she became a full-time dildo peddler and launched a second online store, Naughty North in March 2020 geared towards the Canadian market. She is passionate about helping folks experience pleasure on their own terms without shame or judgment and prides herself on her site's focus on education and information. When she's not running a sex toy empire, Carolyn is hanging out with her partner, teenaged sons, and 3 cats.

Pronouns: she/her



Cripping Up Sex: Tell me your name, pronouns, and a bit about what you do


Carolyn: My name is Carolyn Eagle. My pronouns are she/her and I am the Founder/Manager of Betty's Toy Box, which is an online sex toy store.

 

Cripping Up Sex: That’s awesome that you started Betty’s Toy Box! What was the driving force for creating this company?

 

Carolyn: Well it's interesting because when I started out, I really wanted to normalize sex toys and was thinking more of my own demographic. Women of a certain age 😉

 

Carolyn: But it has become so much more than that.

 

Cripping Up Sex: That's interesting. Have you found that older women get often overlook in conversations about sex toys?

 

Carolyn: Absolutely they do. I think that sex toys can be so helpful for women going through menopause for example. But we don't talk enough about women's sexuality in a positive way, particularly older women.

 

Cripping Up Sex: I so agree! I personally have never found any information about older women and sex toys.

 

Cripping Up Sex: When you were first starting Betty’s Toy Box, did you come across any info about sex toys and disability during your research?

 

Carolyn: Not really, no. There is still a huge gap in knowledge around sex and disability. I have made a point to educate myself and my staff more

 

Carolyn: [such as] What to look for, which toys may work, what folks need in their toys. It's so individual though

 

Carolyn: I honestly wish doctors would educate themselves more about all aspects of sexuality for all people

 

Cripping Up Sex: That's awesome you are educating yourself and your staff. Many sex toy stores still think people with disabilities are not sexual beings so it is important that places like Betty's provides a space where they can explore their options.

 

Cripping Up Sex: How do you pick which toys you sell?

 

Carolyn: It takes a lot of time and research. I have relationships with all of the major toy manufacturers so I will know ahead of time what is coming out. I also really rely on getting my hands-on demos to see what a toy will do, how it feels. Of course these days, it's all over Zoom

 

Carolyn: I really miss trade shows where I can touch and feel the toys

 

Cripping Up Sex: Yes, I bet it is hard to not physically feel the toys you are interested in adding to your store. I know sometimes when I see a toy I want to review it might look great, but once I have it in front of me it's a whole 'nother story

 

Carolyn: Right?

 

Carolyn: What a year

 

Cripping Up Sex: Lol definitely. So, in what ways do you train your staff on how to help disabled customers pick out toys?

 

Carolyn: I am always signing them up for training from manufacturers who I know make good toys that are going to have features that are going to work for different bodies. I will also point things out and show them how they can suggest different ways of using toys.

 

Carolyn: It's a learning curve. You have to think of toys differently

 

Carolyn: You see them in another light.

 

Carolyn: And it's important to ask questions of the customer of course. Understand their needs

 

Cripping Up Sex: Yes! I always like to say how people can use toys in not the "intended" way if it works better for them!

 

Carolyn: For sure. It's your body. Only you will know the best way to pleasure it

 

Cripping Up Sex: Absolutely.

 

Cripping Up Sex: So after I started reviewing toys from your shop, you mentioned that more disabled people started shopping with you; how did that make you feel?

 

Carolyn: It's amazing. You know, I just hired a wonderful young person a couple of months ago and she just told me that she never knew how gratifying the job could be. That she felt she was really helping people

 

Carolyn: I feel the same way. When you can help somebody find something that works for them, particularly after they have been struggling, it's the best feeling

 

Cripping Up Sex: I so hear you! So on a different note, where would you like to see the sex toy industry go in general?

 

Carolyn: Oh, I have opinions lol

 

Carolyn: I mean, I think we are moving away from considering toys just 'novelties'

 

Carolyn: But I would love to see more of a focus on toys that are taking more folks, more bodies, more abilities into consideration

 

Carolyn: Instead of just hundreds of new rabbit vibrators or dildos slightly different from the ones that were released 6 months before.

 

Carolyn: Quality and education over quantity.

 

Cripping Up Sex: Definitely lol

 

Cripping Up Sex: And where would you like to see it go in regards to including people with disabilities?

 

Carolyn: There are lots of gaps in the market. If a manufacturer was smart, they would do a focus group with people with disabilities. See what they need. I have some ideas but I'm not the expert

 

Carolyn: Although I would like some input on tiny print in users manuals and toys that are hard to grip with stiff hands. That's something I know a bit about lol

 

Carolyn: Have you ever been asked by toymakers what you need? Or anybody you know?

 

Cripping Up Sex: Actually, one cool thing is WeVibe after reading my reviews of their toys, actually started making changes based on my reviews. Hot Octopus did the same.

 

Carolyn: That's fantastic

Carolyn: We-Vibe Chorus is one of those toys that people typically call a couple's toy but it's great solo [too]

 

Carolyn: Hands-free, remote control, etc. So much easier to use than things you're expected to hold

 

Cripping Up Sex: I love the squeeze remote of the Chorus! You don't even need to use your hands to use the remote, like as long as you can get some type of pressure on it you're good - which is amazing!

 

Carolyn: There are some companies that are doing such a great job of listening

 

Carolyn: But others just keep churning out the same stuff. It's difficult to find true innovation because it's expensive to design all new toys

 

Cripping Up Sex: Definitely. Hopefully, more will follow suit will the more progressive companies. So that was my last question, do you have anything else you want our readers to know?

 

Carolyn: I think one that everybody should know is that you are always the expert on your own body. Ask questions, experiment, and try new things. There will be something out there that will bring you pleasure.

 

Cripping Up Sex: That's such good advice

 

Cripping Up Sex: Thanks so much for chatting with me Carolyn!

 

Carolyn: Thank you. This was fun


carolyn@bettystoybox.com

https://www.bettystoybox.com/

@BettysToyBox - Twitter, Instagram, Facebook


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ani DiFranco In Bed with Eva

Laura Wolford In Bed with Eva

Alix Olson is In Bed with Evan